High School Student Unsure About his Future
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

High School Student Unsure About his Future

Hello Marines,

I understand that there are probably hundreds of "uncertain future" questions in this forum, and I apologize for asking another one of these questions. Due to the fact that I live overseas in the Pacific region, I have very few contacts to talk about my current situation, especially since my nearest USMC recruiting office is in Guam (I live on a US Army base in Japan). Making a phone call costs a lot of money and my parents do not appreciate it.

First, I'd like to give some background information. I live overseas in Japan because a parent of mine works for (but is not part of) the Army. I am 16, and this is my Senior year in High School (my young age is due to the fact that I skipped a grade). This is my second year in my school's Army JROTC (I am sure you are all sick of hearing about this program and I apologize), and am currently in charge of our school's Rifle Team (air rifles), Color Guard, and Saber Team. My GPA is a 3.9, and my AFQT for the ASVAB is 97. I have played football (Varsity) and water polo, and have been on the swim (Varsity), and track and field teams. I've only taken the SAT once and have a score of 1760. I plan on taking the ACT. I am widely regarded as being intelligent and athletic. I'd like to avoid as much desk work as possible in the future, though I understand all jobs involve varying degrees of paperwork. My goal is to become an infantryman; my dream is to become part of a Force Recon or Recon unit.

Now for the problem. I have always wanted to enlist in the US Marine Corps, but I am beginning to wonder if enlisting would be a waste of my "potential". Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I feel that my High School statistics don't matter at all. Everyone I talk to, however, says it's a huge waste of potential for me to even be thinking about enlisting, and should take the path of becoming an Officer though college. Personally, I don't like the idea of someone going out and leading men with more experience than them just because they earned a degree. If anything, if I were to become a Marine Officer, I would enlist before earning that title.

However, would that be something I would regret in the future? From what I've heard, many people who enlist first wish they could go back and commission at a younger age. If I were to go to college first, I would be 17; IF I earn the rank of Lieutenant at the end of it, I would be 21. If I enlist first, however, my chance at becoming an officer is not guaranteed and if I do commission, the earliest I could would be around the age of 25 or 26. As I plan on making a career out of the military, this age gap could greatly affect my time in it.

Despite this fact, I have never really been much for personal benefits. The reason I want to enlist is to prove myself worthy of becoming a Marine before leading them. In the future, I'd like to provide fellow Marines with the best leadership I can. I feel that enlisting before attempting to become an Officer would better serve the Corps, rather than becoming a leader with no prior military experience (whether it be in technical skills, combat, or deployments). I understand that Officers get much better living conditions and pay, but as of now, I'm not worried about money or providing for a family; the only family I would like to contribute to is the USMC, and I believe learning through enlistment would maximize my potential.

I'd like to sincerely ask the Marines on this forum: What are your opinions on my thoughts? I would greatly appreciate any advice, no matter how critical it may be. I know many of my thoughts may sound cheesy or overblown with pride, but I'd like to do the best I can in serving our country.

With all of my gratitude,
    Nikolai

Similar Threads:

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How do I convince my parents?

With all due respect to Marines,

I am currently a sixteen year-old (about to turn 17 in a month) Senior in High School, and I am having difficulty convincing my parents to allow me to enlist.

To give background information, my grades are high and I partake in various extracurricular activities. My AFQT on the ASVAB is a 97. My high school statistics are high enough to land me in reputable colleges and universities. I'd like to enlist at the age of 17, but I am aware I can enlist without parental approval at the age of 18. However, I'd like to join as soon as possible.

My reasons for enlisting in the Marines are simple: I want to serve my country with the best of the best. Everyone dies sooner or later, and they'll ask themselves if they've done anything meaningful with their life. Many will say no. Marines don't have that problem.

However, my parents don't agree with my reasons. Despite trying to convince them otherwise, they're thoroughly convinced that only half-brained high school graduates enlist in the Marines. They believe my patriotism is misplaced in a corrupt government with a selfish personal agenda. They say if I'm going to join the military, I should at least not "waste my potential" and commission as an officer. Now whenever I bring up the subject, they tell me to drop it.

Can anyone offer any advice? I know I can enlist on my own in a year, but I'd like to do so as soon as possible. That's a whole 'nother year of waiting to be a Marine, and I don't really have forever.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDman View Post

Due to the fact that I live overseas in the Pacific region,

I have very few contacts to talk about my current situation.
    My nearest USMC recruiting office is in Guam ,
    (I live on a US Army base in Japan).

Making a phone call costs a lot of money and my parents do not appreciate it.
    ((( have you ever checked into VOIP= voice over internet provider)))

Dozens of programs and facilities around to avoid long distance phone bills..
    The internet can be your friend.......

(((ask one of your friends, i know there are programs out there for free phone calls over the internet to any country in the world.)))

I am 16, and this is my Senior year in High School ,
    (my young age is due to the fact that I skipped a grade).

My GPA is a 3.9, and my AFQT for the ASVAB is 97
    I've only taken the SAT once and have a score of 1760.
    I plan on taking the ACT.
    This is my second year in my school's Army JROTC ,

I have played football , water polo,have been on the swim , and track and field teams.

I am widely regarded as being intelligent and athletic.
    I'd like to avoid as much desk work as possible in the future,
    though I understand all jobs involve varying degrees of paperwork.

My goal is to become an infantryman; my dream is to become part of a,
    Force Recon or Recon unit.

Now for the problem. ,
    I have always wanted to enlist in the US Marine Corps.
    I am beginning to wonder if enlisting would be a waste of my "potential".

Maybe I'm being ignorant, ,
    but I feel that my High School statistics don't matter at all. ,

Everyone I talk to, however, says it's a huge waste of potential ,
    for me to even be thinking about enlisting, and should take the path of becoming an Officer though college.

Personally, I don't like the idea of someone going out and leading men with more experience than them just because they earned a degree. If anything, if I were to become a Marine Officer, I would enlist before earning that title. Would that be something I would regret in the future?

From what I've heard, many people who enlist first wish they could go back,
    and commission at a younger age.

If I were to go to college first, I would be 17; IF I earn the rank of Lieutenant at the end of it, I would be 21. If I enlist first, however, my chance at becoming an officer is not guaranteed and if I do commission, the earliest I could would be around the age of 25 or 26.

I plan on making a career out of the military, ,
    this age gap could greatly affect my time in it.

Despite this fact, I have never really been much for personal benefits.

The reason I want to enlist is to prove myself worthy of becoming a Marine before leading them.

In the future, I'd like to provide fellow Marines with the best leadership I can. I feel that enlisting before attempting to become an Officer would better serve the Corps, rather than becoming a leader with no prior military experience (whether it be in technical skills, combat, or deployments). I understand that Officers get much better living conditions and pay, but as of now, I'm not worried about money or providing for a family; the only family I would like to contribute to is the USMC, and I believe learning through enlistment would maximize my potential.

I'd like to sincerely ask the Marines on this forum:

What are your opinions on my thoughts?

I would greatly appreciate any advice, no matter how critical it may be.

I know many of my thoughts may sound cheesy or overblown with pride,
    but I'd like to do the best I can in serving our country.

With all of my gratitude,
    Nikolai
    Excuse me for editing your post.

Not much there that isn't covered young friend...
    #1 . Consider that you can't enlist into the Corps untill 17 *,
    You putting a year into college won't cost you any "time wasted"....
    Knowledge is something others can't take away from you.

Marine Officers** LEARN thru their career in many ways.
    When they're new/young, they depend highly on Marine NCO's
    and their Senior Marine NCO's to gain the objectives at hand.

**(The Smarter Ones- that is)...

IF I were to offer one piece of advise...Continue your education-
    Untill you've made up your mind.......

You are the one that will live with your decision.

There really isn't a WRONG DECISION, Is there ?

Thread Information